Friday, January 9, 2015

Airline Vistara takes wing with its maiden Delhi-Mumbai flight

Airline Vistara takes wing with its maiden Delhi-Mumbai flight



Vistara, the TataSingapore Airlines carrier, made its maiden flight between Delhi and Mumbai on Friday afternoon. It is the third full service carrier in the domestic airline industry. On the first day of operations, the airline had to contend with a short weather-related delay at Delhi.The return flight too did not take off on time as the secondary runway 14 was in use on Friday , which led to air traffic congestion. Vistara is now the first domestic passenger airline to operate from Mumbai's Terminal 2, which was inaugurated in February last year. Till now, the terminal had been used only by international passengers.
The brand Vistara is a joint venture between Tata Sons Limited and Singapore Airlines Limited (SIA), with Tata holding the majority stake of 51% in the company and SIA holding the remaining 49%.
Currently, low-cost carrier IndiGo leads the industry with a market share of 31.3%, followed by Jet Airways at 21.7% and Air India at 18.4%, as per DGCA statistics. Air Asia, which launched last year with one aircraft, has a market share of 0.4%. Vistara currently has plans to connect only three destinations, Mumbai, Delhi and Ahmedabad. It will begin its operations to Ahmedabad on Saturday. Conveying his wishes on the occasion, Ratan Tata, chairman emeritus, Tata Sons, said, “It has been a long-cherished dream for the Tata Group to establish a world-class full service airline in India, in partnership with Singapore Airlines, and today that dream has come to life. I would like to dedicate this day to Mr JRD Tata, the man who started it all, and established India's first international airline.His futuristic vision continues to inspire us and we salute his spirit and dream. I would like to extend my best wishes to the Vistara team as they embark upon a remarkable journey today .“
Mahesh Sharma, minister of state for culture, tourism and civil aviation said, “Though India is projected to be the third largest aviation market globally by 2020, and the sector opening up to allow 49% FDI will attract many new players, the focus will be on safety and quality, which is more important.Also, it is the Prime Minister's vision to develop India as a leading tourism hub and connectivity is imperative to achieve this.“



No comments:

Post a Comment