Tuesday, October 9, 2018

It’s fasting time for TV actresses


Walking barefoot, skipping sugar and salt, and at times, going without water are some ways TV actresses abstain from their favourite indulgences and observe fasts during Navratri

It is that time of the year again when you step out of your house wearing the finest ghaghra-choli and jewellery to dance your way through the the nine nights of Navratri. However, the nineday celebration is also the time when people in the city observe fast; these also include TV celebs. If you thought that they would not have the time to fast after their hectic schedules and commuting for almost four hours every day, think again. BT spoke to a few, who make time to follow this important ritual of Navratri celebration despite their long working hours. Here’s how they do it...

NIKITA DUTTA


‘It’s easy to fast when you are shooting; it keeps you distracted’

It’s the easiest to fast while at work. It keeps your mind distracted. So, the trick is to keep yourself occupied as much as possible and avoid thinking about food. The bigger deal you make about it, the more difficult it gets to keep up. Keep your day light and easy. I start my day with water and fruits; watermelon is the best because it contains a lot of water. It keeps your stomach healthy and light and the water content gives energy to survive the day. You should also have coconut water, which is very good for health. An apple by evening is best and once the fast is broken after puja, I have some paneer with buckwheat flour.

It is energy for the body.

MADIRAKSHI MUNDLE

‘I walk around without any footwear on all the nine days’

I have been following the tradition of fasting during Navratri from childhood. I used to fast all the nine days and not wear footwear during that period. At first, I used to go to school and college barefoot, but stopped doing that when my feet ended up getting burnt in the heat. I decided to stay at home for all the nine days. Even now, I fast all the nine days and carry home-cooked farali food. While it is mainly sabudana and potatoes when I fast, I also depend on fruits and milk because it gives a lot of energy on the sets. I avoid salt during the festival.

SHILPA SAKLANI

‘I am a great believer of Mai and I never feel low on energy’

Ever since I became conscious of the religious importance of fasting, I observe the Navratri fasts, which come twice a year. I start my day with fruits and milk and then, the whole day keep filling my body with dry fruits, curd and chaas. Thankfully, I have never felt low on energy even if I was shooting all these years. I go home and have dinner of sabudana khichdi and curd. In fact, I love dairy products and they energise me throughout the festival.

KANIKA MAHESHWARI

‘During the day, I don’t eat anything except for green grass juice’

I fast for all the nine days of Navratri as I feel peace and a sense of purity of body and soul, which holds great significance. During the day, I don’t eat anything except for my green grass juice and aloe vera, which is the first thing I have in the morning. If I am travelling for work during these nine days, I keep some fruits handy, which I can munch on to beat the hunger pangs. My staple food, for the only one meal I eat at night, is lemongrass and milk.

RISHINA KANDHARI

‘I don’t drink water when I fast or even wear chappals’

I am a great believer of Goddess Durga. Interestingly, I am also playing the nine avatars of the Goddess in Tenali Rama. I used to fast earlier on all the days, but now because I am shooting I have restricted it to the last day. I don’t eat or drink water. If I have to step out, I will not even wear chappals. In fact, I have shot many scenes without chappals on the sets.

VIDHI PANDYA

‘I am a foodie, so it’s a challenge to fast when I am on the set’

I am a Gujarati, so fasting for Navratri is not new to us. I’m aware of all the traditions and pujas related to it and follow it diligently. I start the day with masala milk, fruits and carry home-cooked farali food to the sets. I am a big foodie and love junk food, so it’s a challenge to keep away from it for nine days, especially when I am on the sets. I mainly survive on paratha, aloo sabji and lots of milk and fruits.

URVASHI DHOLAKIA

‘I’ve shot in fever and even fasted while shooting for long hours’

I used to keep only one fast in a year and that is on Mahashivratri. However, I started fasting during Navratri because of my mother’s belief in the festival. I fast for all the nine days, however, whenever it is not possible, I do it for at least two days. I fast because it’s part of our tradition, and it pleases my mom and the Goddess. I have fasted during my shooting hours, too.

Keep yourself hydrated. Although, I have shot in 102 degree fever, I have not been in a situation where I am shooting for long hours, while I am fasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment