Thursday, August 2, 2012

Critics force me to prove a point, says Mary Kom Five-time world champion doesn’t want her children to be boxers since she can’t bear to see them getting hurt

Critics force me to prove a point, says Mary Kom
Five-time world champion doesn’t want her children to be boxers since she can’t bear to see them getting hurt

Boxing is perhaps the most demanding sport for women. Apart from requiring speed, strength and endurance, they must be able to take the hard blows. For 12 years now, five-time world champion MC Mary Kom has withstood the inevitable pain and fatigue that comes with the sport. To say that she is mentally tough is mentioning the obvious. So what’s it that fuels her desire?
“My critics force me to prove myself even after 12 years and that’s it,” says Magnificent Mary, as she is fondly called.
The 51kg category boxer looked in a positive frame of mind for her bout on August 5. There never has been built a statue in honour of cynics, but Mary is determined to throw a counterpunch.
“I’ve won World Championships in 46 and 48 kg. These weight categories are not in Asian or Olympic Games. Boxing was introduced in the Asian Games only in 2010 and there I got a bronze in 51 kg. I was fighting in lower weight categories for over a decade prior to that,” reminds the Manipuri girl.
She adds, “My critics may not know but I’ve a job to do here. I’m going to finish that in style. Even though I’m competing in the 51kg here, I’ve no complaints.”
Regardless of her steely exterior, one corner in her heart is soft and vulnerable. She’ll not encourage her children to be boxers. “I can’t bear my kinds getting hurt”.
She pauses a bit, reflects, and says, “If they still want to be boxers, I’ll support them.”
Irrespective of what London holds for her, Mary Kom feels women pugilists will be better served if 46 and 48 kg categories are included in the future Games. “I wish they introduce 46 and 48 kg categories in the Asian and Olympics. That would be an ideal scenario for women. I’d definitely like to box in these categories again,” she adds.
She hasn’t thought of a life, post-boxing. As long as her body can endure and mind can take it, she’ll turn up in the ring. She says, “I’ve a dream, a burning desire to win an Olympic medal. Let me realise this first before thinking further.”

No comments:

Post a Comment