Sunday, August 5, 2012

Saina wangles a bronze She wins the play-off after Wang hobbles away, coach says she would have won anyway

Saina wangles a bronze
She wins the play-off after Wang hobbles away, coach says she would have won anyway

Minutes after Saina Nehwal was awarded the badminton women’s singles bronze medal play-off against Xin Wang of China Saturday, mentor and coach Pullela Gopichand said she would have won anyway if the match had gone on. Although Saina lost the first game 21-18, the momentum was with her as she had recovered from a big deficit when Wang took an injury break before returning to win the elusive game point.
“I thought she was trying to get some rest,” said Saina later. But it was soon all over for Wang as she hobbled off the court at the start of the second game. “She was a little tired and I think she pushed herself a little too much,” said Gopichand.
Earlier, Saina had gone into a shell after her semi-final loss
to Wang Yihan. She did not even speak to her father, preferring instead to introspect on the match by herself.
Saina looked much more positive in Saturday’s play-off, and came back strongly to contest the first game. Just then, Wang got injured and it turned out to be a quixotic victory for Saina. “I still can’t believe that I have won a medal for my country. I really can’t describe what my feelings are right now, but all I can say is that I never wanted victory in this manner,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment