Friday, August 24, 2012

Mary wants to inspire mothers Upset at the North-East exodus, India’s star boxer wants unity so that athletes can give their best

Mary wants to inspire mothers
Upset at the North-East exodus, India’s star boxer wants unity so that athletes can give their best

While the laurels and cash rewards continue to flow in profusion, India’s star boxer Mary Kom has just one humble request on behalf of the North East people. “Give us your love and affection,” said the 29-year-old boxer. “I am really upset at the happenings across the nation. If we don’t have unity in the country, then we athletes won’t be able to perform to the best of our abilities. I just hope all the North East people who have fled Bangalore in the last week return to restart their lives.”
India’s golden girl hopes her achievement will be the pacesetter for all those young girls who want to take up sports but are held back owing to financial constraints. “After my victory, I am confident the infrastructure will improve over the next four years,” said Mary Kom. “I hope the young girls get motivated and take up sports as a path to excellence. I just hope they say if Mary Kom can do it despite all the hardships she has gone through, so can we.”
A confident mother, Mary Kom said her medal should be an inspiration to sportswomen for bigger things. “The big problem in Indian society is after marriage, many sportswomen retire to raise their respective families. Considering I was able to win two world championships and a bronze after becoming a mother, I am very confident plenty of women across the country will be able to achieve big things even after conceiving. I just hope I can inspire them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment