Friday, June 22, 2012

London Olympics: 58 days to go; Tokyo bid chief says 2020 last chance

Tokyo bid chief says 2020 ‘last chance’Tokyo’s 2020 Olympic bid leader Tsunekazu Takeda has said that another failure to land the Games would mean a very long wait to host the world’s biggest sporting spectacle. “It’s our last chance,” Takeda said. “We’ll win. We have to win. With the rotation of the Olympics it will be many years before Tokyo can go for it again.
“For (our generation) it’s the last chance,” said the Japanese Olympic Committee president, while adding Tokyo was in better shape this time after its failed 2016 bid. “We have a better bid this time. We have kept the best components and improved all other areas.”

Malaysia Olympics boss fears for medal chancesMalaysia’s Olympics boss has said their medal chances are slim in London, now that badminton player Lee Chong Wei is injured, and that the country needs to do more to develop young talent. Lee will receive injections of his own stem-cells into his damaged ankle in an effort to get him fit in time for the Olympics, and he has vowed to train “every body part apart from my injured ankle” while he recovers, which could take six weeks. Olympic Council of Malaysia president Tunku Imran Tuanku Ja’afar said national sports associations had failed to nurture young talent.

Poonia has medal to win and promise to keepIndian discus thrower Krishna Poonia has no problem buying a T-shirt for her 10-year-old son Lakshya Raj, but the message he wants emblazoned on it gives her pause for thought. Poonia threw 64.76 meters in an event in Hawaii earlier this month to break India’s national record but when she spoke to her son by telephone thousands of miles away in the north Indian city of Jaipur, all she got was a stern reminder. “I have promised him I would clear the 65m mark and he called me to remind me that I have fallen short,” 30-year-old Poonia said. “I have promised him to achieve it in London so that he can fulfill his wish of wearing a T-shirt which will have ‘Poonia Crosses 65 metres’ written over it.”

Australian diver Mitcham relishes underdog tagOlympic champion Matthew Mitcham thrilled in his moment in the sun when the Australian smashed China’s “Great Wall” of diving at the Beijing Games, but now relishes being the “underdog” ahead of the London Games after long battles with injury. “I feel like the underdog again in London,” he said. “I’ve had a few injuries that have kept me from my best but it is good to go in without all that pressure. No one expects me to win and I feel more comfortable when I am in that position.”

No comments:

Post a Comment