Friday, June 22, 2012

I still don't know how I missed gold: Karnam Malleswari

It’s been 12 years and it still haunts me that I was unable to win the gold at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Though I am still the only woman from India to have won a medal at the Olympics and have successfully been able to set a record; winning the gold would have been a more satisfying achievement.

With the Olympics only 50 days to go, I can’t help but think of my time in Sydney. I failed in my last lift and for some technical reason I was unable to win gold. Had I got one more opportunity to lift, things would have been completely different.

Nevertheless, I am proud I was able to represent my country and win a medal in the biggest event of all. When your name is announced and you step on the podium to receive the medal...that is the moment when you want the time to stand still. It is your moment, the moment you’ve waited for all your life. And no one can ever take that away from me.

Participating in the Olympics is an experience I guess no one can ever forget. You end up meeting athletes from different countries. The best part is you still keep in touch with all the people you met then and have now become good friends with.

I hope that this time a woman can bring home another medal for the country and break my record. I pray that India does well in London and wish all the athletes the best of luck.

—Malleswari won the bronze medal in the 69kg weightlifting at the Sydney Olympics. Till recently, she was the vice-president of the Indian Weightlifting Association and currently works with the Food Corporation of India. She spoke to Namita Handa

No comments:

Post a Comment