Friday, June 22, 2012

Had done enough to compete: Mercy Kuttan

Going into the 1988 Seoul Olympics, I had a realistic sense of my ability. Precisely for that reason, I was happy just to participate in the Olympics as I had just about missed the Moscow and Los Angeles Games. In order to ensure that I would be part of the contingent representing India at Seoul, I even shifted from long jump to 400m. Of course, like any athlete, there is tension before a big event. But I was rather thrilled that I had done enough to compete alongside the world’s best. During the heats, I noticed that the top athletes were quite relaxed and did just enough to qualify. On the other hand, for me, it was about going all out and giving my best. I was able to qualify for the second round of my event and that was more than satisfying for me. Athletes always strive to put in their best performance at major meets and I think even my best came there. I am happy that I still managed to clock the best time among the Asians, better than the Chinese and the Japanese.

At the Olympic village, I got to interact with Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson and Griffith-Joyner. I can never forget those moments. When Griffith-Joyner passed away, it was a poignant moment for me as I had interacted and spoken to her closely.

Johnson would even come and chit chat with us while we practised. In the village, it does not matter how big an athlete you are. You are given the same treatment.

The Indian contingent was like a big, huge family. Whenever one of us had an event, the others would come to cheer and motivate us. The team spirit and the sense of belonging are very high at such moments.

—Mercy Kuttan participated in the 1988 Seoul Olympics in 400m. She currently runs the Mercy Kuttan Athletics Academy in Kochi, Kerala. She spoke to Manju Subhash Chandran

No comments:

Post a Comment