Saturday, September 24, 2011

A unique destination that's only the beginning of a long journey





I boldly set out from home, fully prepared for the travails of the adventure I was going on. The fuel guzzling demonic beasts from the pits of hell crowded my path and threatened to thwart me at every outset. Time was running out and these beasts were refusing to get out of my way. They say that time waits for no man, and my adventure was not going to wait for any time. I goaded my charioteer to ignore the trivial laws of men and single-mindedly blaze a path to my destination, a destination that was only the beginning of my journey.
I ran into the edifice, showed the impatient guardian angel at the gates my antecedents and he waved me through. I dealt with few more clerical minions of the institution and finally glimpsed the Line. The Line was the focal point of the edifice. Prospective adventurers milled around the place but like bees to nectar-rich flowers, like iron filings towards magnetic poles in a school physics lab, formed the Line.
I stood in the Line, eagerly waiting for my turn. The grey-blue doorframe beckoned, like a gateway to a better place, a place with opportunities, a place of adventure and travel. The guardian angel asked me to remove my material possessions. This is a doorway of peace, he told me. Leave your metallic weapons here, he advised. I obeyed and, divested of my belongings, I stood in front of the door frame, nervous, anxious and yet, excited at my impending transition to the other side.
I was beckoned. It was my turn! I walked through the doorframe and sounds emanated, like a mysterious prelude to a ballad. The music then began to play, exotic wind instruments, plaintive oboes and clarinets and ethereal flutes combining together to commemorate this joyous event. It was time. The music soared. I walked on to the small pedestal ahead of me. Like an explorer from the Middle Ages standing at the edge of the world, I was giddy with enthusiasm. The rest of the orchestra joined the wind instruments and the melody elevated the ambience as the guard in front of me gave me the signal.
I stretched my arms wide open and looked at the land in front of me. The song began. The theme from Titanic. Celine Dion crooned as the officer in front of me completed the arms-wide-open ritual. It was a time-honoured tradition. When he was done, he stamped the seal of entry and I was now officially admitted into the departure lounge of an airport after going through security check-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment