Sunday, July 8, 2012

Vikas Krishan gave up badminton for boxing

Racquets, not gloves, are what this Bhiwani boy started off wielding. But after seven months, Vikas Krishan gave up badminton for boxing. “In 2002, my father had enrolled me at the local badminton centre. But I was uncomfortable with the sport. Being an indoor discipline, I used to feel claustrophobic,” says Krishnan. “It took me seven months to decide that it wasn’t my cup of tea, after which I joined the Bhiwani Boxing Club.”

The new poster boy of Indian boxing is the youngest winner of an Asiad boxing gold and only the second Indian to win a world championship medal. But what set the ball rolling was a gold in his very first national appearance at the 2003 sub-juniors in Noida. Krishnan was a good student, but after this triumph his father gave him the freedom to choose between academics and sports. He chose to pursue a correspondence course. “Boxing has got me name, fame and money,” says this DSP with the Haryana Police.

No comments:

Post a Comment