Sunday, July 8, 2012

NARSINGH PANCHAM YADAV, 22 Category: 74 kg Hails from: Varanasi Sporting high: Gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2010

The first thing Narsingh Pancham Yadav did after his sporting achievements began to pay off was to relocate his father back to their hometown in Varanasi. “My father wanted me to become a wrestler and provided me with the best facilities required to excel in the sport, despite enormous financial constraints,” recalls Yadav. “He even shifted to Mumbai to help me realise my dream.”
 
NARSINGH PANCHAM YADAV, 22 Category: 74 kg Hails from: Varanasi Sporting high: Gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2010
With the cash award that Yadav received after striking gold at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, he bought land in his native village. Recently he convinced his father to stop his milk distribution business and shift back to Varanasi.
He learned how to wrestle in Mumbai, but Yadav’s big break came when he was picked for the 2010 Commonwealth squad and won a gold medal. This year, he earned the London Olympics qualification mark in the continental qualifiers. “Since I was a child, my father wanted me to be an Olympic wrestler. I will try my best to fulfil his dreams,” he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment