Saturday, July 2, 2011

Dinesh Thakkar, chairman & managing director, Angel Broking

Dinesh Thakkar, chairman & managing director, Angel Broking

1. What is your job like?
My job is to advocate people
about the virtues of equities.
My main objective is to convert
savers into investors.
2. What does your secretary
think about you?
Few bosses have an accurate
perception of what their secretaries
think about them. To believe
they did would be delusionary.
3. What’s the smartest
business idea you have ever
had?
To create a company
called Angel Broking
that would cater to the
vast, untapped market of
potential retail investors.
A purpose achieved.
4. And the most
embarrassing?
Along with hits there are always
a few misses. Mistakes are
always part of a successful journey,
but none of them was embarrassing.
5. Who has been your biggest
influence?
Successful people who have
achieved a lot but who continue
to work passionately in pursuit
of greater goals.
6. How important is money to
you?
In a literal sense, it is important.
Ideologically, it’s a reinforcement
of your self-worth
and also a means to fulfill your
responsibility towards society
and family.
7. What is your most
important work ethic or
maxim that you practice every
day?
Never preach to others what
you yourself don’t do.
8. Has your personal life
suffered due to work?
No. I have realised that the
passage of time without work is
depressing. Also, those who
want to get in amongst the
ranks of successful people need
to work harder. For me, one day
a week is enough of a holiday
to recharge myself. Even my
family has got used to my style
of working.
9. How do you want to be
remembered by your
colleagues?
As a leader who sets worthy
examples. As a person who did
business with the right ethos; a
person who was aggressive in
his business but logical in his
thinking.
10. What are you working
hours?
An entrepreneur never stops
thinking about his business. He
is always ruminating over it.
This job is 24X7. Physically, I
come to my office at 11 am and
leave at 8 pm for gym as health
too is vital. An important motive
is that because experience
comes late in life, health is paramount
to capitalise on this experience.
11. What is the most valuable
memento in your office?
The memento I value most is
the people I work with. Some of
them have stayed with
me for a long time,
which has shown me
they believe in me. Respect
is something I
value highly. I have received
many awards
from the outside
world. The one I value most is
the award presented by our finance
minister Pranab Mukherjee
for best investors education.
12. Does retirement scare
you?
No. I believe a man has a
knack of turning a challenge on
its head. Also, if a person has assiduously
used his working life
well, his later life can be spent
in revelry. I believe I am improving
with the passage of the
time. I am eager to see what I
can do in my later life.
13. Have you been ever been
tempted to start out on your
own again?
The decision to launch Angel
set me on an entrepreneurial
mission that justified my vision
and brought me into a milieu of
good people, so the temptation
to start on my own has been
wholly vindicated.
14. What do you hate the most
at work?
I hate sycophants.
15. How do you unwind?
By hitting the gym, almost
daily during the week. I spend
weekends with my family.
As told to Yogini Joglekar

No comments:

Post a Comment