Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mohit Chauhan, Singer: Think Big. Don’t Settle For Second-Best


http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/popup/2013/7/Mohit-Chauhan.jpg
Mohit Chauhan, Singer: Think Big. Don’t Settle For Second-Best
A  lmost 10 years ago, in the dead of the night, my landline rang. I answered, dazed. The man on the other end told me that I needed to fly to Chennai at 10am that morning. I asked him why. He said, “Didn’t you hear me? I am calling from A R Rahman’s music studio.” I could not believe what had happened. It didn’t sink in for the longest time that Rahman sir wanted to see me. I’d waited some five years for that  call.

I met A R Rahman for the first time when my band, Silk Route, shot to fame in 1998. He very casually walked up to me at an award ceremony and said that he might want to work with me in the future. And so, my wait began.

Every day, I hoped to hear from the man but no call came. I started touring with my band but I never forgot that short conversation. After our second album, Pehchaan released, I started getting impatient because I was getting playback offers from other composers. I rejected most of them. People told me I was being foolish by waiting for a call that might not come, ever; that I should take whatever comes my way because getting a break in Bollywood is not easy. But I was adamant.

And so the impatience grew. Silk Route disbanded. I needed work. But I made one wise decision, I did not shift from Delhi to Mumbai because being jobless in the city unnerved me.

And then, it happened. I got that call. I went to Chennai. I sang a song for him. Rang De Basanti released and Khoon Chala was a hit. Suddenly, everyone wanted to know who I was. And now, looking back, wasn’t that the right decision? Sir gave me Rockstar next, and my career just took off. Now people recognise my voice even on the radio. It’s quite unbelievable for a small-town man like me.
 
Yes, it took me over a decade to get to where I have, but I didn’t compromise on it. I have been selective of my work and look where it got me! Every night I thank my gut that always told me that you will get the call.

Scorecard
1 People will always tell you to take the easy way out. Never take it. Work hard and be patient.
2 Complacency is your enemy and never get too comfortable. Be on your toes.
3 Times change and your time will also come. But don’t sit doing nothing and leave it to destiny. Work towards achieving your destiny.
4 Don’t get disheartened by criticism.
5 You will make mistakes. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment