Monday, January 21, 2019

Dravita Singh (24) reached the finishing line with her doctor, Shailesh Ranade

Girl who lost part of foot in train attack beats all odds
Yogita.Rao@timesgroup.com

Mumbai:

Twenty-four-year-old Dravita Singh lost part of her right foot after falling off a local train last year, but did not lose out on her confidence. Beating all odds, Singh, who was attacked by a robber from the ‘fatka’ gang, ran the marathon on Sunday. She walked and jogged through the track for 45 minutes to reach the finishing line with her doctor, Shailesh Ranade.


Dravita Singh (24) reached the finishing line with her doctor, Shailesh Ranade
“It was a great experience. I never ran a marathon before this,” said Singh, who has been practicing for it for over three weeks. “I had practiced for a few days and I am happy I could do it. There was no fear about exerting pressure on the foot as my doctor ran the Dream Run with me. I managed it,” said an exuberant Singh. “I plan to participate in the marathon regularly from now on. Since this time I could not put a lot of pressure on my foot, I did not manage to practice a lot. But in future, I will start running months in advance,” she said.

Last Sunday, she rehearsed for the marathon and covered the same distance on the actual marathon route in south Mumbai. “She had managed it quite well,” said her proud father, Hemant Singh. She was awarded a heroes’ trophy from one of the sponsors after completing the 5.9km Dream Run. Several people cheered her during the race too.

Singh, a Kalyan resident, was traveling in the train when she was hit by a robber perched on a railway pole. She fell on the tracks, when a train coming from the opposite track ran over her arm and foot. Multiple surgeries were done to save her foot from amputation.

“Since she was very depressed after the incident, we had to boost her morale by asking her to take the same train one day. After few months, I told her to participate in the marathon. Initially, she thought it was a joke, but when I insisted, she took the challenge,” said Dr Ranade, a plastic surgeon. “The biggest test for a person with a reconstructed foot is to run a marathon, and she passed that test today. Her feat is a moral victory for me too,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment