Friday, August 17, 2018

How this brother-sister duo windsurfed their way to the Asian Games 2018




While 20-year-old Dayne Coelho was the youngest ever national champion, his sister Katya 18, was the first Indian girl to represent India in windsurfing at the Youth Olympics in 2014. Now, the brother sister duo has broken all odds again to qualify for the Asian Games together this year. Ahead of the games which will be held from August 18 to September 2 in Jakarta, the siblings from Goa tell us what it took to get there.

THE BEGINNINGS


“For as long as I can remember, I was always fascinated by the sea. I took a liking to windsurfing when I was around 7. I remember it like it was yesterday. I saw my dad blasting down the coastline – just him on his rig, with nothing but the wind to power it,” says Dayne of his father and coach, Donald Coehlo, who is a national champion himself. It was no different for Katya, who started windsurfing when she was

12.

FROM YOUTH OLYMPICS TO THE ASIAN GAMES

In 2014, Katya qualified for the Youth Olympics, but Dayne did not, despite him training more seriously and for longer hours than his sister. “I was heartbroken. I stopped windsurfing for a while,” says Dayne, adding, “We all went to China to support her. The opening ceremony of the Youth Olympics was so magical. I knew that evening that I was on the wrong side of the stadium, and that my place was down there, among the greats.”

About her experience at the Youth Olympics, Katya says, “The competition was hard because I was racing against the best from all around the world.” She also faced a disastrous setback during the race, when her sail tore midway through.

After the Youth Olympics, Katya decided to take a break, so that her father could focus on coaching her brother, who she felt was more passionate about windsurfing.

WE ARE FAMILY

“About six months ago, we received an email stating that this time, they would be accepting a team (one boy, one girl) from each country. Though we were sceptical about taking part in the games, we still decided to give it a shot and went to Chennai for the first selection round. The top four from here were sent to Jakarta, where the second selection trial was held. We thought we wouldn’t make it, but we did,” says Katya.

The siblings consider their parents their pillar of strength. “We are a close knit family. My parents always make it a point to come for every competition. They are here with us in Jakarta, along with my little sister,” she says..

What next? “After I’m done with the Asian Games, I’m going to take some time off to relax, rest and enjoy! Not for long, of course, as I am going to start my campaign to try and qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics! Before that, we may also have the National Games in March,” says Dayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment