Sunday, December 2, 2012

Life of Psy The Gangnam Style hitmaker, and a global music phenomenon now, Psy gets chatty

Life of Psy
The Gangnam Style hitmaker, and a global music phenomenon now, Psy gets chatty
Credited for making Gangnam district (the Beverly Hills of Seoul) globally known, Park Jae-sang or Psy as we know him has earned the Guinness Book of World Records title for the most liked YouTube video ever. Having taught the horse dance to the most celebrated people and being featured on CNN’s Talk Asia, Psy is the new found music sensation.

Excerpts from an interview:
What’s the Gangnam Style about? Did you see it becoming a rage?
I described the district. I compare all the sexy ladies to the district... calm during the day and going insane at night. That’s what the lyrics are about. I made this song, the video and dance moves just for Korea, not the whole world. I didn’t expect this kind of a thing.

When did you discover your love for music?
Basically, as a kid, I wanted to be a stand up comedian, a talk show host or something like that. And when I was 15... I saw Queen’s (band) concert at Wembley Stadium, that was broadcasted on a Korean show. They were singing Bohemian Rhapsody and when I saw the footage, I was like literally, you know, gone.

You even made Britney Spears dance to Gangnam...
That was the most nervous moment in my life... I was more nervous than when I debuted! First time meeting Britney, first time meeting Ellen, first time being on national TV. And Britney didn’t know I was coming there, so I had to be hiding all over.

Tell us about the horse dance.
After the song was done, me and my Korean choreographers spent more than 30 nights trying everything... like every animal move possible. Literally everything. You know, this horse dance was really huge in Korea in the ’80s. One day, I thought about it and my choreographer knew about the dance. So, we were like let’s try it.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said that, “Before Gangnam Style, I was the most famous Korean. I can’t say that anymore, Psy is”...
He’s a heart to the Koreans. When he invited me, I was so touched; more than my Billboard number two.

Is your next single in English?
Yes. A mix. I cannot beat the billion views on YouTube, but honestly, the track is done.
b_shreya@dnaindia.net
Published Date:  Dec 01, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment